My birthday feels like a scene from “The Notebook.”
Noah: “What do you want?”
Allie: “It’s not that simple.”
Because it isn’t. When I was a teenager, I wanted clothes, CDs, nail polish and perfume. Now, on the cusp of 40 years old, I can buy my own clothes. CDs are iTunes cards. My nail polish addiction is out of control. And I haven’t worn cologne since 2002.
I thought about my 39 years, and everything that’s happened. And I came up with a list of what I’d like on my birthday. Some are lofty. Some are easy. And others aren’t that simple.
- My Bryan Adams t-shirt back from the “Waking Up the Nation” concert in Birds Hill Park in August 1992. Older sister, I’m looking at you.
- Same with my Meat Loaf t-shirt, circa 1994.
- My CFSA skating pins I can’t locate. [Sorry, mom.]
- Voter turnout in Manitoba to be near 60 per cent. I know the election is on April 19th, and I’ll gladly take this as a late birthday gift.
- Realize life it too short to not follow your passion.
- No snow. Please. Just…no.
- April 12th is National Licorice Day. Buy some for the office or the neighbourhood kids. Share a piece with your special someone Lady and the Tramp style.
- Love more. Fight less. Judge none.
- No matter where you live, watch either the sunrise or sunset, or both.
- For everyone to perform a random act of kindness. Buy a coffee for the person behind you. Show up at work with doughnuts. Buy a helium balloon and hand it to a child.
- To be able to eat gluten. I’d be at the Arborg Bakery so fast…
- For one day, everyone in my grad class to remember friendships never die.
- Patrick Sharp to be signed back to the Chicago Blackhawks. [I said the list was lofty.]
- For both of my families to know I love them, and this will never change.
- A Selfie with anyone who wishes me a happy birthday.
- For people to realize time doesn’t heal wounds. Love does.
- L’Oreal lipstick in Bold Bordeaux, because everyone should be bold. Plus, I need a new one.
- For people to smile at strangers and make the world a brighter place, even just for the day.
- To remember love is the best gift you can give yourself.